Starting with Pidgin version 2.7.1, this ChangeLog file will no longer be
updated. It will be kept in the source tree for historical reasons only.
version 2.7.1 (05/29/2010):
version 2.7.0 (05/12/2010):
* Private GTK+ Runtime now used (GTK+ Installer no longer supported)
* Minimum required GTK+ version increased to 2.14.7
* Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME
(Millennium Edition), and Windows NT 4.0 longer supported due to GTK+
* Crash Report files (pidgin.RPT) are now generated in the ~/.purple
directory instead of the installation directory.
* NSS SSL Library upgraded to 3.12.5 (thanks to Berke Viktor)
* GtkSpell upgraded to 2.0.16, changing the spellchecking backend to
enchant. This means that myspell and hunspell (OpenOffice)
dictionaries can be used (previous versions' aspell dictionaries
version 2.6.6 (02/18/2010):
* Installer translations for: Norwegian nynorsk
version 2.6.5 (01/08/2010):
version 2.6.4 (11/29/2009):
* Register URL handlers for everything that Windows knows about. Still
use the HTTP "open" handler for security reasons.
version 2.6.3 (10/16/2009):
version 2.6.2 (09/05/2009):
version 2.6.1 (08/18/2009):
version 2.6.0 (08/18/2009):
* Added XMPP URI support.
version 2.5.9 (08/18/2009):
* No changes and no win32 packages built.
version 2.5.8 (06/27/2009):
version 2.5.7 (06/20/2009):
version 2.5.6 (05/19/2009):
version 2.5.5 (03/01/2009):
* Remove the "Flash window when chat messages are received" pref from
the Windows Pidgin Options plugin - the Message Notification plugin
does this (and much more).
version 2.5.4 (01/12/2009):
* Fix the "Hang on Exit" issue that a number of users encountered.
version 2.5.3 (12/20/2008):
* Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.8 toolkit
* Updated included Meanwhile library to include patch referenced in #7563
version 2.5.2 (10/19/2008):
* Updated GTK+ to 2.12.12
This will resolve an issue with stuff in QQ appearing as "(NULL)"
version 2.5.1 (08/30/2008):
version 2.5.0 (08/18/2008):
* Don't install the GSSAPI SASL plugin on NT4 to avoid an error popup.
* Use the Kerberos for Windows libraries installed on the system (if
present) instead of including enough to load the plugin (Kfw still
needed to be installed for it to actually work before this change).
* Upgrade to Perl 5.10 (System Perl runtime must be upgraded for Perl
plugins to continue to work).
* Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.7 toolkit
version 2.4.3 (07/01/2008):
version 2.4.2 (05/17/2008):
version 2.4.1 (03/31/2008):
* Fix an issue preventing the Buddy List being raised when pidgin.exe
is run for a second time.
* Fix AIM/ICQ usage of non-ASCII text with new Glib versions.
version 2.4.0 (02/29/2008):
* Updated included Meanwhile library to include patches referenced at:
* Build the xmpp protocol with SASL support (and include Cyrus SASL
version 2.3.1 (12/7/2007):
version 2.3.0 (11/24/2007):
* Updated GTK+ to 2.12.1 (This was actually included in 2.2.2, but
didn't get into the Changelog.)
* Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.5 toolkit
version 2.2.2 (10/23/2007):
* Updated gtkspell to include a patch to share Aspell dictionaries
among all the input fields to avoid excessive memory usage.
* Update libxml2 to 2.6.30
* Bonjour protocol now appears even if Bonjour for Windows isn't
present (displays message indicating Bonjour for Windows must be
installed if you try to log in and it isn't installed).
* libpurple now looks for a default prefs.xml in the COMMON_APPDATA
directory (e.g. \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\purple\prefs.xml)
similarly to how this is done on other platforms.
version 2.2.1 (09/29/2007):
version 2.2.0 (09/13/2007):
* Updated gtkspell to 2.0.11
* Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.2 toolkit
version 2.1.1 (08/20/2007):
version 2.1.0 (7/28/2007):
* Updated launcher application (pidgin.exe) to support portable mode
via `pidgin.exe --portable-mode` or by renaming the binary to
* Updated GTK+ to 2.10.13
version 2.0.2 (6/14/2007):
* Add Bonjour protocol support thanks to Chris Davies. This requires
Apple Bonjour for Windows from:
version 2.0.1 (5/24/2007):
version 2.0.0 (5/3/2007):
* URI Handler support added via `pidgin.exe --protocolhandler=`
* Running a second instance will popup the Buddy List, if possible.
* Updated GTK+ to 2.10.11 (rev.b) (Win98/ME will need to use 2.6.10)
* The transparency plugin has been rewritten and enhanced.
* MSN open email bug fixed.
* Update SILC to use the 1.0.2 toolkit
* Lots of other things that I can't remember right now.
version 1.5.0 (8/11/2005):
* The installer now supports downloading and installing
* Environmental proxy settings will now default to the Internet Explorer
http proxy, if one is present.
* Updated to GTK+ 2.6.9 (rev a). This includes:
GTK+ 2.6.9, Glib 2.6.6, Pango 1.8.2 and zlib 1.2.3
Upgrading is recommended as zlib 1.2.3 contains security fixes
version 1.4.0 (7/7/2005):
* On Windows XP or newer, the non-debug version of gaim will attempt
to use the existing console, if one is present, for debug output.
* Updated to GTK+ 2.6.8 (rev a). This partially fixes the famed "No
Disk" error among other things.
version 1.3.1 (6/9/2005):
* Installer allows you to choose whether or not to put shortcuts on
the Desktop and Start Menu. Uninstall icon is no longer placed
* Fixed logging where the gaim home directory path is a UNC path.
version 1.3.0 (5/10/2005):
* Updated to GTK+ 2.6.7 (rev a). This restores functionality on Windows
version 1.2.1 (4/3/2005):
version 1.2.0 (3/17/2005):
version 1.1.4 (2/24/2005):
version 1.1.3 (2/17/2005):
* SILC is currently no longer installed on Windows NT 4 systems. There
is an outstanding bug that causes no account to be able to connect.
Thanks to Lorne Nicol for helping track the issue down.
* Updated GTK+ to 2.6.2 (rev a)
GLib 2.6 introduces wrappers for stdio functions (fix to handle
version 1.1.2 (01/20/2005):
* Updated GTK+ to 2.4.14 (rev a)
* Much prettier System Tray icons for Windows XP and greater.
(Thanks Jérôme Poulin and Alex Converse)
* Docking now works with multiple monitors.
version 1.1.1 (12/28/2004):
version 1.1.0 (12/02/2004):
* SILC protocol plugin added.
* Now checking GAIMLANG and GAIMHOME instead of LANG and HOME env
variables, to avoid conflicts with other apps that use them and
to avoid HOME env variables intended for cygwin (using unix style
* Both the installer and gaim now perform checks to see if an instance
of gaim is already running. Definition of GAIM_MULTI_INST env
variable turns this check off.
* Asynchronous host name resolution (Fixes unresponsive UI during slow
or unresponsive host name resolution).
version 1.0.3 (11/11/2004):
* Updated GTK+ to 2.4.13 (rev a)
Includes fix for pango bug affecting some character sets, such as
version 1.0.2 (10/20/2004):
* Updated GTK+ to 2.4.10 (rev b)
This revision updates glib to 2.4.7 and pango to 1.6.0, fixing the
dreaded 'UDP port pollution' and 'crash on symbol font' bugs
* Installer translations for: Albanian
version 1.0.1 (10/07/2004):
version 1.0.0 (09/17/2004):
* The "Start Gaim on Windows startup" setting is preserved
when Gaim is reinstalled (Daniel Atallah)
* Pasting HTML no longer adds linewrapping where it shouldn't
version 0.82.1 (08/27/2004):
* Update version of gtk checked by the installer
version 0.82 (08/26/2004):
* Selecting away messages using the system tray icon works
* Transparency plugin will save your settings again (Kevin Stange)
* Updated gtk-wimp to 0.6.2
* Updated libpng to 1.2.6 (major security update)
* Updated GTK+ to 2.4.7 (rev a)
version 0.81 (08/05/2004):
* Napster joins binary release (Thanks Kevin)
* Gaim's gtkspell build now makes use of pango's squigly underline
(Thanks Nathan Fredrickson and Daniel Atallah)
version 0.80 (07/15/2004):
* idletrack.dll now unloads properly when you quit Gaim in Windows
2000 or later, so the installer will no longer report an error
replacing or removing the file. (Andrew Whewell)
* Fixed a bug in the transparency plugin causing buddy list settings
to also apply to all conversation windows. (Kevin Stange)
* Only attempt to execute URIs with the schemas http, https,
* Updated gtk-wimp to 0.6.1
* Updated GTK+ to 2.4.3 (rev a)
* Installer translations for: Slovak
* Updated gtkspell to 2.0.6
version 0.79 (06/24/2004):
version 0.78 (05/30/2004):
* Win32 transparency plugin now preserves transparency when dragging
conversation tabs (Kevin Stange).
* Installer translations for: Slovenian.
* Updated GTK+ 2.2.4 build (rev d): Now supports Gimp 2
version 0.77 (04/22/2004):
version 0.76 (04/01/2004):
* Ability to open files directly from file transfer window.
* Installer translations for: Russian, Polish, Finnish, Japanese
* Updated GTK+ 2.2.4 build (rev c): glib updated to export needed
version 0.75 (01/09/2004):
* TCL plugin loader now working. Thanks Daniel Atallah.
* Installer translations for: Danish.
* Updated GTK+ 2.2.4 build (rev b): Fixes Clipboard bug, and includes
official move/size fix (Sizing responsiveness is a little slow).
version 0.74 (11/25/2003):
* Installer translations for: Czech.
version 0.73 (11/21/2003):
* Fix the close button on the first tab in each window.
* Fix for carriage return pileups in userinfo.
* Window flashing is back.
* Fix for gaim settings move bug (#838621).
* Update to NSIS v2.0 b4 final release.
* Ability to perform unattended installations.
* Installer translations for: Spanish.
version 0.72 (10/31/2003):
* Fix for bug #808562 - LANG needs to be set before gtk_init, when
setting text widgets to RTL or LTR.
* New dll hell avoidance policies.. hopefully this time as many bases
* Gtk-wimp is back (version 0.5.1). This version is supposed to be a
* Compatibility issues with dropline gtk installers are resolved.
version 0.71 (10/09/2003):
* Gtk-wimp theme removed.
* Installer translations for: Portuguese.
version 0.70 (09/28/2003):
* Fixed an icon caching bug which showed up after gaim's data dir was
moved in 0.69. Cached aim buddy icons were not showing up.
version 0.69 (09/24/2003):
* Perl plugin loader is back (now using perl58).
* Gaim now performs 'dll hell' check on startup.
* Using SHGetFolderPath to determine Gaim's app data directory.
* Installer translations for: Korean and Romanian.
* WinME installer bug fixed.
* Moving to GTK 2.2.4: Dead keysyms handled on the US-International
keyboard. Caps Lock bug fixed. Option to disable move/resize patch
(This is known to be buggy on XP).
* Gtk-wimp updated to 0.4.3
version 0.68 (09/01/2003):
* Installer translations for: Bulgarian and Traditional Chinese.
* No Perl plugin support, due to the re-write. (It should be back in
* Executable pounces now working (Thanks to Kevin Stange).
version 0.67 (08/14/2003):
* Installer translations for: Dutch, French, German, Hungarian,
Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Serbian (Latin) and
Simplified Chineese. Thanks to all of you who provided translations.
* The Buddy List can now be docked using Windows appbar features.
* Option to turn off Conversation Window flashing added.
* Gtk-wimp updated to 2.0 (improved XP support). Thanks to Raymond
* Moving to GTK 2.2.2: Floating tooltips fixed, move/resize bug fixed,
multi-monitor support added. This is a build of cvs gtk-2-2 branch
on 8/8/03 which includes my move/resize patch.
version 0.66 (07/18/2003):
* Windows files join the source distribution.
version 0.65 (07/16/2003):
* WinGaim plugins can now be built with gcc stabs debugging info,
allowing for more informative crash dumps.
* Buddy List DnD bug fixed.
* The systray code is now integrated into the docklet plugin, bringing
those nice docklet features to WinGaim.
version 0.64 (05/30/3003)
* Perl plugin support is back.. after the plugin api rewrite
* File transfer fixed for win32
version 0.63 (05/16/2003)
* Gaim installer re-written. Our own GTK+ installer is now bundled
with the Gaim installer (installs to the same location as the
dropline version). Installer gives user the choice to install one
of three GTK+ theme engines, including GTK-Wimp. Installations
should now work for all users on multi-user machines (including
guest accounts). No more DLL Hell. Sexier installer look (Thanks
* Language translations in the systray menu should now be displayed
* Fixed some bugs (Thanks Phroggie for debugging help).
* Fixed oscar protocol high cpu usage bug.
* Separated aspell from Gaim, and switched to aspell.net windows
installer. Gaim will function with or without aspell installation.
* Gaim installer no longer installs GTK+ runtime dlls. Gaim now
requires gtk-win installation (http://www.sf.net/projects/gtk-win)
* Updated Gaim installer to use modern UI.
* Drag and Drop Smiley theme installation works now.
* Fixed bug where TOC buddies where not showing up in the list.
version 0.60 alpha 5 (2/8/03)
* Buddy Icons no longer corrupted.
* Buddy & login window drift fixed.
* No more console window.
* File path related bugs fixed.
* Fixed disapearing systray icon bug, w/ failed signon.
* Fixed performance issue on some win machines due to Pango uniscribe
* Autoreconnect plugin works once more.
* Fixed windows idle reporting.
version 0.60 alpha 4.1: (1/22/03)
* This was a bug fix release for the smiley redraw bug.
version 0.60 alpha 4: (12/29/02)
* Feature improvements for transparency plugin.
* Font properly set in gtkrc
* Gaim systray icon permanantly parked in systray, with different
icons for connected, disconnected and away.
* Right clickable menu for systray.
* Flashing conversation window on receiving an IM.
* Aspell installer allows user to set install path.
version 0.60 alpha 3: (11/8/02)
* Plugin for transparent conversation windows
* Gtkspell/aspell working
* IdleTracker added for Windows idle reporting.
* Nativewin gtk theme (using native windows fonts)
* New gaim and gaim-installer icons (Thanks Tux Racer)
version 0.60 alpha 2 (10/9/02):
* Perl functionality added
* Path issues fixed for Win9x
* Added g command line flag for logging of GTK and GLIB debugging.
* No more console in Win9x for glib logging (when not debugging).
* Plugins: autorecon, iconaway, spellchk and ticker now work.
* Language translations are working.
* Using GTK 2.0.6 (Some GTK bugs fixed since 2.0.3)
* gtkimhtml copying to clipboard works. Selecting text copies it to
* Gaim now minimizes to the system tray.
* Various other feature updates from the Gaim crew. Read ChangeLog :)
version 0.60 alpha 1 (9/13/2002):